5 DIY Tips For Getting Rid of Damp and Mold – 2024 Guide

There are many benefits to living in a house rather than an apartment. However, you should know that every house requires proper maintenance, which can be much more complicated than when you are living in some condo. It is not a rare case that a house, especially the older one, has a problem with mold and damp. You should take care of these problems on the first sight since mold can cause various health issues and lower the value of your asset.

Moreover, if you don’t react on time, the problem with damp and mold can become much more serious, and you will have to invest a lot of money to fix the problem. If you need an expert to deal with that problem, visit this site, where you can find professionals to take care of damp, mold and many other problems related to your home. On the other hand, the best way to deal with these issues is to pay attention to every hint that your home might get a problem with mold. Here are some of the best tips for identifying mold and damp on time, and how to efficiently get rid of them with less effort.

img source: freepik.com

1. Preventing The Rising Damp

The best way to prevent subsidence of damp is by implementing DPC in the walls. DPC is a special material that prevents water from breaking through the wall. If you don’t have this material in your building, there is a risk for the development of black mold spores, which could cause breathing and respiratory issues. Also, it will affect the appearance of every room with black marks on the corner of each wall.

In case you don’t have a special material on the walls, there is a way to add a DPC by injecting it through holes. However, you have to be aware that this process is not so simple, which means that you should contact a professional in the case that you don’t have experience in drilling and other things related to maintenance.

2. Curing the Penetrating Damp

If you notice that there are structures of mold and damp on the walls that are higher than 1.5 meters, that might indicate that there is a problem with the walls outside and their waterproof abilities. Water is the main cause of damp concentration. Also, you can smell the mold even before you notice its existence. On the first notice of this problem, you should inspect every corner of your home and see if there are any cracks in walls or other issues that can cause the mold.

When it comes to cleaning, you should wear protection on your hands and face, since mold is very toxic, along with the chemicals you are using to remove it from your home. After you finish with the cleaning, you must ventilate your house properly. Furthermore, if you notice damp in your bathroom, that might be caused by a poor ventilation system, and the best way to deal with that is keeping the window open, especially during showering.

img source: freepik.com

3. Buy a Mold Cleaner

We can see that most people are using bleach for removing damps from their homes. However, bleach is only a short-term solution, and if you don’t pay attention, you might get things even worse with that. The reason to avoid bleach is that you can provide even more water to walls, causing even higher concentrations of the damp. The most efficient way to deal with this problem is to buy a professional mold remover, which is a chemical that will successfully remove mold from your walls without any traces.

4. Use a Dehumidifier

Another solution to this issue that can cause health problems is to get a dehumidifier, which is not a long-term solution, but it will help you dry-off your walls. The main benefit is that this device will remove any toxic substance from the air in the room. Also, this device is widely used in civil engineering, but there are some smaller versions for homes that you can buy for less than 200$.

5. Seal Tiles and Grouting

It is not a rare case that parts of your home with higher humidity, like the kitchen and bathroom, often have a problem with a higher concentration of mold. Make sure to always have a proper ventilation system, especially when you are preparing food or drying clothes because particles of water in the air are the main cause to get fungus on the walls.

Also, it is much better to dry-off your clothes outside, because leaving them in the room can cause the same problem. You can buy a product especially made for your walls, which can kill microbes and fungus, and use a grout sealer to seal all areas that are treated with that chemical.

img source: freepik.com


You have to know that it is very important to maintain your house properly and prevent the existence of fungus in the air, that could create a higher concentration of mold on the walls. Dealing with this problem can be quite expensive if it gets more serious, and you will have to contact some professionals to deal with that. In most cases, the main reason for damp comes from the poor structure of falls. However, having a bad ventilation system or frequently drying clothes inside your home can create damp as well.

While it can ruin the appearance of your house and lower its value, the main issue is that you could get some serious health issues like asthma and other breathing and respiratory diseases. Be sure to occasionally examine every corner in your home and check if there is any chance for this problem to occur and prevent it on time. This way, you will save a lot of money and time to deal with some more serious cases of damp and mold. Dealing with this sort of maintenance is simple when you are aware of every factor that could cause it.

Bogdan Radicanin
Bogdan Radicanin

My name is Bogdan Radicanin, but everyone calls me Boba. I also work as a full-time musician. I approach both jobs with a lot of passion, and I believe that's what makes me successful.