Traditional earrings such as hoops, studs, dangles, and barbells all require you to get your ears pierced, however, if you do not want to pierce them, you can opt for an alternative fashion accessory – using ear cuffs. The best thing about them? You can put them anywhere on your ear from the cartilage to your lower lobe.
But, if you have never worn them before you might be wondering – what are some basic things that I should know about these diverse accessories? Well, this is exactly what this article will help you with. Let’s take a closer look at the basic things you should know about these accessories:
1. There Are Five Common Types
As mentioned previously, these accessories are extremely diverse, which makes it quite normal that there are a lot of types to choose from, including:
- Wrap-Around – this type will not only wrap the back of your ear, but it will cover the front as well. It most commonly features gems and stones, as well as complex patterns. Since it often has a complex design, you might want to avoid wearing additional jewelry.
- Wire – this particular form will create an illusion that the band is floating on your ear. Not only will it give you a specific look, but, it will also secure the piece, which means that you won’t have to worry about losing it. They often feature a pattern that is more feminine and elegant.
- Chain – if you are longing for that ‘80s look, opt for a quirky and funky type that features a chain or several of them. This design is perfect for an evening out, especially since they provide that funky, edgy feel that you might be looking for when going out with your friends.
- Jackets – when you choose to use an ear jacket, you should be aware that the back of your ear will look as elegant as it ever did. They do tend to be more flashy and bulky at the back, however, the front is commonly minimalistic and simple without any gemstones. If you are interested in seeing what you can opt for, click here for more information.
- Band – you might want something a bit more simple that you can wear to work and if so, a simple band cuff is what you should choose to purchase. They are most frequently stacked with other pieces or layered on top of one another. Additionally, they come in a wide range of shapes and colors, hence, you can definitely find something that you like.
2. You Can Wear Them With Other Earrings As Well
As mentioned earlier, ear bands are extremely diverse. What does this mean? Well, you can successfully pair them with drops, studs, and hoops. Hence, you’ll be able to create a wide range of looks from the elegant and feminine feel all the way to a completely decorated ear featuring colorful bands with gemstones.
3. It is Not Difficult to Put Them On
Now, the very first thing that is worth mentioning is that is can be a bit difficult to put them on the first time, however, once you go through the process, it will be extremely easy to do the same time after time. You should begin with keeping the piece parallel to the ear and then slipping it on the flattest part of the ear.
From there, you can slide it up and down in order to fix it, as well as place it where you want it to stand. You should remember that it needs to comfortably and securely “hug” your ear. How will you know if it is secured? Well, you can gently pull it, if it does not come off immediately, you are good to go.
4. You Might Not Want to Sleep With Them
Generally speaking, it is possible to sleep with the earrings on, but, this might only be possible with smaller pieces. Large and complex ones can be quite uncomfortable, not to mention that your hair can get caught in them which can cause a lot of problems, as well as damage the cuff. Hence, you might not want to sleep with them.
5. There is a Wide Range of Designs And Styles
If you google “ear cuff designs and styles”, you’ll get hundreds if not thousands of designs to choose from. Once you have chosen a particular design, you can then easily combine it with other accessories. Keep in mind that if you opt for a bulkier cuff decorated with gemstones or chains, you might not want to wear other, bulky jewelry pieces.
6. You Won’t Need to Pierce Your Ears
You might be afraid of needles or you simply might not want to pierce your ears, whatever situation you are in, you won’t need to pierce your ears if you choose to purchase and wear ear cuffs. Of course, this will take away the ability of your combining it with other earring types.
However, there is a solution for that as well – there are also earrings that you can simply strap on your ear. Naturally, you cannot do this with all types since they might be too heavy, but, there are various designs that you can simply strap on your ear and you are good to go.
7. It is Not a New Trend
Although a lot of people believe this, ear cuffs have actually existed for a long time and the earliest records date back to 2000 B.C and it was referred to as a Kaffa. They have been popular for centuries now and with the grunge movement in the late ‘90s, they have returned in our everyday lives and are obviously here to stay.
As you can see, there is a wide range of interesting things about ear cuffs. Not only will they allow you to decorate your ears without getting your ears pierced, but, you’ll also be able to combine them with other earrings and jewelry, and they are extremely easy to use.
So, now that you know everything there is about these fashion accessories, you might not want to lose any more of your time. Instead, you might want to start browsing both online and brick-and-mortar businesses in order to find the ear cuffs that will fit your needs and personal taste.