15 Easy Solutions to Treat Rising Damp in Walls – 2023 Guide
Damp causes severe problems in tropical countries. Particularly in houses of old designs, it has a severe and long-lasting impact, if left untreated. Imagine the health hazards of people when they live in a damp house for many years. They will end up spending millions on expensive treatments. Hence, it is better to get the house damp-free at the earliest.
Many companies, like dampproofingpros.co.uk, protect the commercial as well as domestic properties against rising damp. Such companies even make the properties damp-free.
It is a dangerous form of damp that affects the walls of houses. It is a result of groundwater and salt traveling through the walls of houses.
However, people are keen to know some easy solutions to treat it. Damp significantly affects the walls of houses. Hence, let us find out a few easy solutions to treat increasing damp in walls.
- Applying injection cream: The best way to treat rising damp in walls is to apply a damp proof injection cream. Holes are strategically drilled in the walls of the affected house. They are vacuumed to clean out any residue of dust. Otherwise, all the remedies will go in vain.The DPC cream will not stick well unless the dust is eradicated. Then, the cream may be injected or hand-pumped in the walls, through the holes. These creams may be available in individual cartridges or kits. The kits are preferred for professional properties like hotels.On the contrary, individual kits are better suited for individual homes. The cream needs to set overnight. Its thickness and length depending on the afflicted wall.
- Removal of plaster:If it has damaged the internal plaster, it needs to be removed immediately. Any delay will cause the rising damp to spread to different parts of the house. It will aggravate the damage. Moreover, the later it gets, users will have to spend a hefty sum to rid their houses.
- Replacing rotting joints: The parts of the floor or the rotting joints that have come in contact with the rising damp need to be replaced immediately. Otherwise, it will lead to further affliction.
- Mortar: A waterproof mortar is set in a bucket. It is mixed with water and evened out with a trowel. The mixture needs to be slathered across the dampened areas.
- Dehumidification: The source needs to be fixed at first. Then, the area is thoroughly dried out. A dehumidifier is often used for this process. After that, a mold removing treatment is used on it. The instructions will be mentioned on the package. They need to be thoroughly followed. Ultimately, a damp seal is used to paint the mold-free and dry surface. Alternately, a stain-blocking paint may also be used to seal the surface against damp.
- Ventilating the house: A well-ventilated house is no place for damp. It is a good idea to keep the vents open at all times.
- Premium quality mould-Cleaner: It is a good idea to invest in a premium quality mold-cleaner. This mold-cleaner may also guard the house against rising damp. If the customers save money from a mold-cleaner, they might end up having to spend more on treating damp.
- Hiring professional organizations to remove damp: Do-it-yourself solutions may not always work out if the rising damp is too stubborn. In suchcases, it is a brilliant idea to hire professional companies, to remove the same.
- Paint: The owners should not apply ordinary paint on the walls of their houses. Such ordinary paint is ineffectual against rising damp. A particular exterior wall coating, named “Never Paint Again,” needs to be applied on the walls to prevent this condition from occuring. It is a clear coating of damp-proof material, applied on the walls, over paint. They may also replace the paint on the walls.
- Ceiling Tiles: The tiles need to be sealed against this condition. Also, the walls may be sprayed with an antibacterial spray. The grouting lines that are present around the tiles need to be sealed using a grout sealer.
- Using the water-repellent formula: The grout sealer and injection cream need to be water-resistant. Otherwise, the sealers and injections will be ineffective during the monsoons. With the help of a water repellent, one can effectively stop the accumulation of water droplets in the walls, thereby helping to prevent the onset of this condition.
- Salt Neutralizer: Different types of salt neutralizer are available in the market. They may either be directly applied on the walls or added to the plaster.
- Salt mixture: A salt mixture often blocks the pores of the wall. This way, it prevents the condition from filtering in the different parts of the house. It should be ensured that any plaster or mixture that people are using on the walls is dry. It will reverse the effects.
- Wiping the windows thoroughly: The window sills need to be wiped thoroughly every morning. Dry window sills will keep this condition at bay. Fungicidal wash needs to be applied thoroughly at regular intervals. The dry cloth used to wipe the window sills should not be used more than once. It needs to be discarded after each use.
- Bathroom: The bathroom needs to be aired after each use. It is the responsibility of the homeowners not to let steam accumulate. The bathroom window needs to be open, and the door needs to be closed when a person is taking a shower. Open windows and closed doors will not allow steam to accumulate. Accumulated steam is a prime cause of this condition.
New curtains and clothes ward off this condition to a great extent. Many people feel the best way to deal with it is to hide them. However, hiding never offers any permanent solution. Rising damp frequently comes off grounds. It is caused by a missing tile of the roof or a leaking window. The cause needs to be identified and addressed at the beginning and then preventive measures must be undertaken.