3,056 Posts

flynnlives It's grey and gloomy, then suddenly you pop out through the shroud into a vista of bright sunlight, epic blue sky and white snow everywhere, all resting on a pillow of cloud. #snow #jj #ski #iphoneograpy #iphoneonly #winter #view #morzine #france #mountains #alps #clouds #blue 5y

» LOG IN to write comment.

lilsista Another from last nights #sunset  holy hangover city batman, feel like death & have lots on today!! Going to meet up with the twitter girls, owwwwww!! Have a fab day/night lovelies  5y

» LOG IN to write comment.

brionic Missing: Thermos, Crazy Glue 5y

» LOG IN to write comment.

» LOG IN to write comment.

» LOG IN to write comment.

eabeez The sunrise reflecting off my hood! #igers #igdaily #jj #teg #sunrise #reflection #ignation 5y

» LOG IN to write comment.

» LOG IN to write comment.

Normal Shawn THE Savage

» LOG IN to write comment.

shawnsavage  bus  5y

» LOG IN to write comment.

anniebluesky In one frame...a butterfly & hummingbird!! That has to mean something in the scheme of things. (#camera+ #earlybird) 5y

» LOG IN to write comment.

brunodpnunes The grotto in Parque Lage, Jardim Botânico, Rio de Janeiro, located just on the slope of Corcovado Mountain, under, lets say, Christ the Redeemer's right armpit. On the venue works a Visual Arts School, featuring the Mansion, gardens, grotto, turret, slaves dungeon, lake, dam, aquarium and belvedere. The huge Park preserves intact 143 species of trees of the Atlantic Rainforest, some rares. History begun when in 1811 Rodrigo de Freitas Mello e Castro (which named the Lagoon of my previous pic) purchased from Fagundes Varela the Sugar Mills and plantations "Del Rei". Rodrigo de Freitas then built the park in 1840 with project of English landscaper John Tyndale. In 1859 Antônio Martins Lage bought the park and made it private property, so in 1920 his son built the actual mansion with project by architect Mario Vodret, with decorative paintings of walls and ceiling by Salvador Payols Sabaté, giving it as a wedding gift to Italian Opera Singer Gabriella Bezanzoni Lage. Gabriella founded in 1936 the Sociedade do Teatro Lírico Brasileiro (Brazilian Society of Opera), transforming the mansion in the hot spot of Rio's society at her time. Facing financing difficulties, the property was expropriated by the government on the 50's, so now works the Visual Arts School. Right place to have a nice coffee. #igersbrasil #igersrio #cariocagram #brasilmostrasuacara #riodejaneiro #rio #rj #mountain #webstagram #jj #instagram #instagood #instamood #iphoneography #teg #architecture #grotto #cave 5y

» LOG IN to write comment.

brunodpnunes Lagoa (lagoon) Rodrigo de Freitas, Rio de Janeiro. 5y

» LOG IN to write comment.

brunodpnunes Parque Lage, Jardim Botânico, Rio de Janeiro, located just on the slope of Corcovado Mountain, under, lets say, Christ the Redeemer's right armpit. On the venue works a Visual Arts School, featuring the Mansion, gardens, grotto, turret, slaves dungeon, lake, dam, aquarium and belvedere. The huge Park preserves intact 143 species of trees of the Atlantic Rainforest, some rares. History begun when in 1811 Rodrigo de Freitas Mello e Castro (which named the Lagoon of my previous pic) purchased from Fagundes Varela the Sugar Mills and plantations "Del Rei". Rodrigo de Freitas then built the park in 1840 with project of English landscaper John Tyndale. In 1859 Antônio Martins Lage bought the park and made it private property, so in 1920 his son built the actual mansion with project by architect Mario Vodret, with decorative paintings of walls and ceiling by Salvador Payols Sabaté, giving it as a wedding gift to Italian Opera Singer Gabriella Bezanzoni Lage. Gabriella founded in 1936 the Sociedade do Teatro Lírico Brasileiro (Brazilian Society of Opera), transforming the mansion in the hot spot of Rio's society at her time. Facing financing difficulties, the property was expropriated by the government on the 50's, so now works the Visual Arts School. Right place to have a nice coffee. #igersbrasil #igersrio #cariocagram #brasilmostrasuacara #riodejaneiro #rio #rj #mountain #webstagram #jj #instagram #instagood #instamood #iphoneography #teg #architecture 5y

» LOG IN to write comment.

» LOG IN to write comment.

brunodpnunes Cathedral and Abbey Church of St Albans, St Albans, Hertfordshire, England (reedit). At 84 metres (276 ft), its nave is the longest of any cathedral in England. St Alban was a pagan living in the Roman city of Verulamium, where St Albans is now, about 22 miles (35 km) north of London, circa 250 AD. Before Christianity became the official religion of the Roman Empire, local Christians were being persecuted by the Romans. Alban sheltered their priest, Saint Amphibalus, in his home and was converted to the Christian faith by him. When the soldiers came to St Alban's house looking for the priest, St Alban exchanged cloaks with the priest and let himself be arrested in his place. St Alban was taken before the magistrate, where he avowed his new Christian faith and was condemned for it. He was beheaded, according to legend, on the spot where the cathedral named for him now stands. The site is on a steep hill and legend has it that his head rolled down the hill after being cut off and that a well sprang up at the point where it stopped. A well certainly exists today and the road up to the cathedral is named Holywell Hill. A church was built on the site in mid-300 AD, but the style of this structure is unknown; the 13th century chronicler Matthew Paris claimed that the Saxons destroyed the building in 586. Offa II of Mercia, who ruled in the 8th century, is said to have founded the Benedictine abbey and monastery at St Albans. All later religious structures are dated from the foundation of Offa's abbey in 793. The abbey was built on Holmhurst Hill, but again there is no information to the form of the first abbey. The abbey was probably sacked by the Danes around 890. There was an intention to rebuild the abbey in 1005 when Abbot Ealdred was licensed to remove building material from then Roman City of Verulamium, but renewed Viking raids from 1016 stalled the Saxon efforts and very little from the Saxon abbey was incorporated in the later forms. Much of the current layout and proportions of the structure date from the first Norman abbot, Paul of Caen (1077-1093). The 14th abbot, he was appointed by the new Archbishop of Canterbury, Lanfranc. Building work started in the year of Abbot Paul's arrival. The design and construction was overseen by the Norman Robert the Mason. The plan has very limited Anglo-Saxon elements and is clearly influenced by the French work at Cluny, Bernay, and Caen and shares a similar floor plan to St Etienne and Lanfranc's Canterbury. The cruciform abbey when finished was the largest built in England at that time, and the tower was a particular triumph - it is the only 11th century great crossing tower still standing in England. The monastic abbey was completed in 1089 but not consecrated until Holy Innocent's Day, 1115, (28 Dec) by the Archbishop of Rouen. King Henry I attended as did many bishops and nobles. Internally the abbey was bare of sculpture, almost stark. The plaster walls were coloured and patterned in parts, with extensive tapestries adding colour. Sculptural decoration was added, mainly ornaments, as it became more fashionable in the 12th century - especially after the Gothic style arrived in England around 1170. 5y

» LOG IN to write comment.

brunodpnunes Tijuca Atlantic Rainforest, Rio de Janeiro. Home to hundreds of species of plants and wildlife, found only in the there, this is Rio's urban forest. Believe it or not, the city of Rio de Janeiro with more than 6 million citizens spreads around, with this 3,400 hectares of rainforest in the middle. But what is the most distinguishable note about this huge rainforest in the middle of the city of Rio de Janeiro is that it was man made. During colonial times most of the area was deforested and transformed in coffee plantations, one of the bases of the colonial economy. With the diversification of the economy after the transference of the Portuguese Kingdom to Brazil in 1808, the coffee culture declined and moved inland, so in 1861 Emperor D. Pedro II nominated Major Gomes Archer as forest administrator, with orders to reforest it all over again. He worked initially with 6 slaves and later, with 22 paid workers, planting in 13 years 100 thousand seedlings. The replanting was made with species, in its great majority, natives of the Atlantic Forest Ecosystem. The second administrator, Baron Gastão D’ Escragnole continued the replanting from 1874 to 1888. In addition to introducing more 30 thousand seedlings, transformed the forest in a leisure area, a park for public use, including exotic species, creating bridges, fountains, lakes and leisure areas with the orientation and help of the French landscaper Augusto Glaziou. Still in the XIX Century, the painter Nicolas Antoine Taunay dweller and landowner of a farm in the forest, portrayed its natural beauties that represent today a historical memory of the City of Rio de Janeiro. The painter received his friends and members of the imperial court in his house rendering the attractions of the forest known to Brazilians and foreigners that came to visit him. Today it's a national park featuring the nascent of many rivers, waterfalls, belvederes, caves, ecological tracks, and Os Esquilos (The Squirrels) Restaurant in the middle of the Park, which uses old coffee farm premises as a venue. It's quite simple, but if you like to have a nice meal surrounded by dozens of hummingbirds all over the place this is the right place to go. 5y

» LOG IN to write comment.